Sunday, June 15, 2008

Doctor Visit....WooHoo!

We finally got Katelynn in to see her doctor. Her stomach aches and vomiting had gotten worse since last post to where she was getting sick every 2 or 3 days. The last time Katie got sick, I noticed hives on her upper back. She hadn't had hives in months which was good but that is how she reacted in the past when she ate corn. This led me to believe that my assumption was correct that Katie's allergic response to the "whatever" had move to being what I call internal, like mine. This means that I never show an allergy by a skin reaction, I get sick to my stomach and can vomit. That is exactly what we were seeing Katelynn do. When I saw the hives finally develop again while she was sick, I knew it was only an allergic response and not something worse!

We got to the doctor and there were no answers......UGH! So we are now back to me keeping a Food Diary of EVERYTHING she eats for the next month. If it goes in her mouth, I write it down, along with any reactions.

The really ruff part is we now have Katelynn on a strict NO CORN diet. Sound easy huh? Well if you really want to know the challenge we are up against with this, go to you food pantry and read ingredients. Look for corn starch, corn, food starch, modified food starch and oh yeah, my favorite......corn syrup! You will find that there is a bit of corn in almost everything! It is a huge "filler" in the United States. Corn Syrup alone is the biggest challenge, it is even in ketchup and mayonnaise. We did find a mayo that didn't have an corn syrup or corn starch, that was very, very cool. Oh yeah, hot dogs have corn in them to.

So the next time you are curious about what you are REALLY eating, read your labels.....you might be surprised!

The best news of all..................Katelynn hasn't been sick for a whole week!!!!!!!! It's worth the effort by far!

Take Care and Happy Father's Day,
Rebecca in Becky's World 101

No comments: